Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Rosie's Challenge - Day 4

30 Days of Truth... Rosie's Challenge - I decided to take up a 30 Day Challenge about myself. It will probably take more than 30 days to complete but I am willing to make the effort to get it done. Click here to get the list if you are interested in joining in... peace out yo!


Day 4: Something you have to forgive someone for.

Ha… I need to forgive someone. I have tried to forgive everyone in the last year that has made me mad, hurt my feelings etc. But there is one person, that I have never said “I forgive you for hurting me” to. My Mom’s brother… a.k.a. my Uncle. I don’t want to forgive him, but I will. God tells us that we should forgive other just as he has forgiven us.

My Grandma passed away 12 years ago the day before Christmas Eve. She had been diagnosed with Liver and Pancreatic cancer three months prior and was given three months to live. Liver and Pancreatic cancer is a horrible disease, most people do not survive. Some of the worst parts of the disease is the horrible pain that they are in and the fact that they literally go “crazy”. When the cancer begins to break down the liver, the enzymes go to the brain and they become a completely different person. Cancer is an ugly disease to begin with, but this one is the ugliest of all.

In the three months that she lived with her cancer she was either in a nursing home, the hospital, or in the house with my parents and I. I had recently moved home and tried to be as big of a help to my parents as possible while they took care of her. She was an incredibly strong woman full of life. She never met a stranger, even when she was sick. She made her mark on each person she met and touched everyone’s lives.

During that time, not once… not once… did my Uncle step up to the plate to help my Mother. I can remember days he would call to tell her… “I will stay with Momma while you get out of the house”, but an hour before he was supposed to be there he would call, something had come up. I only remember him being at the hospital a hand full of times. He didn’t even take the time to help my Mom with funeral arrangements.

When she passed, he showed his true colors then. He wanted everything she had, and just to end an argument… to stop the fight and the threats… Mom conceded and gave it all over, all that was left. And of course he still wasn’t satisfied. This went on for years, he just knew my mom was “secretly” withholding money and jewelry from him, but she wasn’t. It’s always been that way though. He was the baby, everything was given to him, She always took care of him… my mother and my grandmother. But when my Grandma was gone, my mother said enough is enough. He took everything, including her hand-made quilts. We were left with a few pictures, some jewelry, etc.


So here it is folks:

To my Uncle… I forgive you for not being there for my Mother, my Grandmother and my family when we needed it the most. I have started to learn the selfish nature of people. I know that you didn’t know any better. You always expected your sister to pick up the pieces and handle everything.

No comments: