Thursday, May 19, 2011

Chivalry is not dead, just in a coma

I love to be treated like a lady. What woman doesn't?

I wouldn't say that I prefer to be treated as the weaker sex but I have no desire to be compared to a man... in any way. I drive a 4X4 F150 because not only do I like the room, I like to be seen on the interstate and the highway by other trucks... meaning the BIG ones. I used to drive a car and had way too many close calls when I was driving. I wear jeans and cowboy boots, but I love to wear dresses. I've been known to put on a pair of Roebuck overalls and work out in the yard, but I prefer to wear gloves... cute pink ones. I also like to hunt, I am a great shot... but I want to look "cute" in my camo and the husband says it's not meant to be cute. I like to be girlie! However... I do not, nor have I ever wanted to be treated equal to a man. Yep... I said it. If the husband and I go out to dinner, I want him to sign for the check... even though we have a joint bank account. I want the door opened for me. I prefer him to drive when we go somewhere regardless if he makes me carsick or not (which he does... sorry Babe). I like for things to be taken care of for me. I want to be spoiled! Is it too much to ask for? Some days I really think it is, but I like a true "Southern Gentleman".

So today... while visiting a friend in the hospital I was completely shocked by one young man. He was waiting at the elevator like anyone else would, but when the door opened and the bell dinged that it was time for us board for our destination... the young man, about the age of 15, graciously extended his hand, gestured towards the open doors and said ..... "after you ma'am".

really???

We boarded the elevator and still shocked and slightly lightheaded after what had just happened, I looked at the young man and said "your kindness and respect will take you a long way in life, tell your Momma thank you" and at that point the young man smiled at me and said "thank you ma'am, I will".

I was in complete amazement. At first glance I judged this young man by the way he was dressed... that he would be more interested in texting on his phone or completely ignore that there was another person there when in fact he shocked me with manners. Manners... something a lot of youth these days don't have.

I appreciate the fact that the young man said ma'am, that he gestured for me to go first... I appreciate it that his parents took the time to teach him to open the door for other people. We are known for our sweet tea, southern drawl, and our overbearing charm but it just doesn't happen in the south as much as it should anymore.  People get in such a hurry these days that they forget there are others around them. I worked in the public school system for a number of years and have seen so many children that were disrespectful to adults... it broke my heart. The young man I had the encounter with today warmed my heart to know that there is still hope for chivalry in the south. 

**********

Ok fellas... so here are some tips for you taken from http://www.manofthehouse.com/ that might help you win some "Brownie Points" next time you want to impress your gal.

Opening the door. Now I know you probably open the door for her already. But what about the car door? When was the last time you got to your destination with her, got out, walked around the car and opened the door for her?

Pull the chair out for her. When you take her out to dinner, pull out her chair, let her step up to the table and gently push the chair in so that she can sit down. If you want to bump it up a bit, do this on a regular basis at home when you eat together.

Help her on and off with her coat. When you're leaving with her to go out to dinner, help her on with her coat, and help her off with it again when you reach your destination.

Stand up when she does. If your wife needs to use the restroom during dinner, when she stands up, stop eating and stand up yourself. While she's gone, you can sit back down. When you see her coming back, stand up, walk around the table and pull the chair out for her to sit down

Now if you're generally never this attentive to her, she's going to think something's up. She will likely think that you're trying to get lucky or that you're buttering her up for some reason. When she asks you (and she will) what is up with you, just tell her "This is my way of showing you how special you are to me." I know that sounds corny but something like that will melt her heart, especially if it comes from you.

Imagine this if you will. It's Saturday night, you get a sitter for the kids and tell your wife that you have dinner reservations at a nice restaurant downtown. You help her on with her coat and hold the house door and the car door open for her.

Once at the restaurant, you help her off with her coat and help her get seated at the table. When she leaves to visit the restroom, you stand up until she leaves. When you see her returning, again you stand up and help her get seated.

After dinner, you help her on with her coat, out of the restaurant and into your car. When you arrive back home, you park and help her out of the car. You just earned a major number of points with your wife and it was all pretty simple. If you do this on a regular basis, your wife will surely match you kindness for kindness.

19 comments:

Al Penwasser said...

I'll try it, but she'll definitely accuse me of wanting something.
Which, on the other hand, may not be such a bad idea...

TheUnSoccerMom said...

as much as I'm not really fond of Christen's boyfriend... I will say he has wonderful manners.

Something that IS few and far between w/ young kids.

:o)

stephanie said...

manners will take you far in life. and as for me? I love to be treated like a lady. Not a princess mind you but a lady and I lucked out with the hubs because he is chivalrous to the max :)

Oilfield Trash said...

I still do stuff like that.

Rosalind said...

Al - we all like to be treated like ladies... go for it.

Mom - if my girls try to come home with boys with no manners... they will not be able to date till they are 30.

Stephanie - You are lucky! There are some men out there that are just jerks.

OT - Keep it up... nice guys always win. Classy Chicks dig it.

Erin said...

This story reminds me of a time a friend and I were trying to get a drink at a bar and a man rudely elbowed his way in front of us to order his drink, first. My friend said loudly "Well I guess chivalry is dead!" The guy became very embarrassed and apologetic. I smile every time I think of it, and whenever a man does something un-chivalrous, I always think that phrase in my head.

The Sweetest said...

Word. Kids (and many grownups!) are So. Rude. Where did the manners go? The etiquette? I am not a formal person, but I do know what is socially polite, and it irks me when I see such rudeness around me.

SherilinR said...

i think it's great for people in general to have good manners, but i don't at all feel the need for my husband to get a door or stand up when i exit. however, if he helps me carry the 47 things that i always lug with me or loads the luggage into the car when we're heading out for vacation, i won't complain. but he's too freakin slow. if i wait for him to use those manners, which he does possess, i'll be twiddling my thumbs & ticked off by the time he gets around to it. maybe that's the difference in him being from ga & me being from ny. i always need to rush & he wonders what's the hurry.

Maasiyat said...

You are speaking to my heart with this post. You literally took the thoughts out of my head. I LOL'ed literally when I read this because as I was reading about "southern charm" I actually had some sweet tea on the stove brewing. You can take the girl out of the south but not the south out of the girl.

Rosalind said...

Erin - any man pulls that crap around where I am and I will kick him in the shins... just sayin ;)

Sweetest - it is so rare to find anyone that has any manners these days. So sad.

Sherilin - Honey, you need to slow down. I understand though... I'm the same way, but now and then I need the little extra. My Daddy always does it, but he is never in a hurry.

Maasiyat - Gotta have the sweet tea! I love livin in the south. It will be part of my heart forever.

SarcasmInAction said...

great points and all well said!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm your newest follower, Ashley, from the blog hop...I'm also a fellow southerner & LOVE this post! You & I are alot alike...come check out my blog:
http://scrapbookluv.blogspot.com

Thanks & Have a great night! :-)
Looking forward to reading more of your stuff!

Anonymous said...

Manners are hot. I rarely hear about them being displayed by the younger crowd, so I'm pleasantly surprised by the young man you met.

Flora Loveday said...

If all else fails, head to Mexico where chivalry is still alive, with a pulse, and a hot temperature. (*flushed just thinking about it*)

Great article, made me think about chivalry in Canada, which is almost non-existant... maybe it has to do with the climate, dunno... haha

Found you at the FNF Blog Hop - following you in every way I can :)

Cheers!
Flora Loveday
The Upper Hand
http://www.the-upper-hand.com/

mominrome said...

I got here through the blog hop!!

I am glad I did!!
very cool blog!! :)

Susan said...

How sweet is that?

Stopping by from the Friday hop...am already a follower. :)

xo
babymama
avagracescloset

Justlittlecajunme said...

It goes to show there ARE some well mannered young people around.

I am so with you on the gentleman ways. I long for it and have had long, sometimes drawn out discussions with MyLove who has the attitude, "women wanted to be equal and now you have it" which I consider as a cop out.

But anyways, great post!

shan said...

I am frotunate that my husband was raised by his mother, and she has 3 sisters. He always thinks about me first! I love this post!!!

Rosalind said...

IKR - there are a few left out there