Wednesday, April 27, 2011

what's that sound?

Something magical happens every few years in the south... the Cicada's, this is the year of the 13 year Cicada or as known to "bug" people Brood XIX. Since I live out in the sticks the sweet song of these creepy creatures is almost deafening.

I've taken a few snipets from the Cicada Mania website to share with you... Click over and you will see some amazing video of a cicada coming out of it's shell and some really cool close up photos.



There are many interesting aspects of a periodical cicada emergence, including the length of time they spend underground, their massive numbers, their visual appearance, their amazing songs, and the variety of reactions people have to the cicadas. One of most amazing things you can witness during a cicada emergence is to watch cicadas emerge from the earth as nymphs, crawl up a tree, shed their skins, spread their wings and become adults.

Periodical cicadas will typically emerge over a period of several days. If you discover that cicadas have emerged in your yard by finding their skins (exuvia) or adult cicadas, chances are good more cicadas will emerge later that night

Historically, Brood XIX has emerged in as many as 14 states (link to a map). The emergence will cover the most area in Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Missouri and Tennessee. Other states like Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, and South Carolina should have strong emergences in limited areas, and states like Indiana, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Virginia will have very limited emergences.

Why do Magicadas wait 13 years and why do they emerge in such large numbers? There are many theories why, but the primary reason could be that they’re trying to beat the predators. Since they emerge only once every 13 years, no species can anticipate their emergence (except man), and emerging in large numbers ensures that at least some of them will survive to reproduce.

Note: some folks call these cicadas “locusts”, but they are not true locusts



This is what I get to listen to while I'm at home,. It only last for a couple of weeks, but I am still intrigued by this funny little bugs that only show up every few years. They don't bite and they are not poisonous, so I guess if you really wanted to pick one up, go ahead.

7 comments:

TheUnSoccerMom said...

Oh how I really don't miss that sound. It truly can be deafening. I don't really live in "the city", but I do live in a subdivision, and they apparently aren't fond of subdivisions.

My brother and I used to hunt their skins and try to out do each other. We would find HUNDREDS!

:o)

stephanie said...

I grew up listening to cicadas- so I kind of miss it :)

Joy said...

OH yes, how I do know this sound! BTW - I like the new background! =)

Oilfield Trash said...

Those things are so annoying.

Rosalind said...

@ Mom - I have plenty of my back porch if you need me to send to you so you can out do your brother

@ Stephanie - The website I linked above has some great sound bites

@ Joy - thank you

@ OT - They only come around now and then so I love it when they are here.

KCSherri said...

I grew up listening to them outside my bedroom window - before the days of central air...

To this day - don't laugh - but I listen to them on my "Sound Machine." My hubby hates it - tolerates it - but I think he's getting used to it. :)

Rosalind said...

ooooh... sound machine! I need one.