Saturday, February 26, 2011

my biggest fear

fo reals yo... I can't believe it myself.. it's Saturday!

All week long I have woke up every morning at my bright and early 6:00 a.m. and then lay in bed till 6:30 because I just KNEW it really was Saturday and someone was playing a horrible trick on me. Nope... no such luck. But this morning... my dream dream came true! Ahhh... Saturday mornings.

Such days like this I wake up at 6:30 instead of 6:00, lay in the bed till 7:00 unless the husband is being SUPER sweet and full of love. Then I get to stay in bed till 8'ish. He was being super sweet this morning. I don't know what got into him but I'm sure he has some super secret plan to get out of the house today wit either his dad or one of his buddies for an extended period of time. As of right now he has been gone to the local Volunteer Fire Department for about... 30 minutes, with one of the guys. I love my husband.

Anyhow, so my time here with the girls and the computer has given me a moment to reflect on recent events and I just had to tell you about one of the things that frightens me the most, I know... beautiful Saturday morning and I'm going to get all morbid on your ass. Sorry about that. So here it goes...

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Central to Whynot, Central to Causeyville, Central to Vimville
I have a report of a structure fire, report of a structure fire. 1587 Highway 19 South, 1587 19 south, Structure fire, fully involved.
I am startled awake, its 2:13 a.m. and the only reason I know that is I just got completely scared out of my skin by the pager going off.

The husband gets out of bed, puts on his jeans and boots that are always laid out at the end of the bed, kisses me bye, and heads out the door. Then  I hear him on the radio as he pulls out of the driveway...

Whynot copy, Whynot 2 in route to the station

Central copy

Now... the show is on. I get up, go outside for a smoke, get a glass of coke and sit up in the bed listening to the radio. I hear all of the departments check in at the scene, get set up, and then the radio goes silent.....

This is my dark hour, my time of complete grief, my husband is out there at a fire, doing God only knows what, and I have no idea where he is or what he is doing. He is a volunteer fire fighter in our community. He doesn't do it because he gets paid or has a fancy retirement or benefits, he does it because he loves it and he cares about the people in the community. The departments continue to talk on the radio but only on what they call talk around. It only has a short range so they don't clog up the radio with a bunch of traffic just in case there is another fire somewhere else in the county.

I was a volunteer several years ago, I drove and operated our fire truck, I loved it, but I saw the danger, I saw just how easily someone could get injured. Most of our volunteers are not trained, they just go when they are called.

So I sit... and wait... with that horrible sickening feeling in my stomach.... I feel the need to go throw up, but I know it won't do any good.... so I sit... and pray.... please God just bring him home safe... bring everyone home safe... please God put your arms around everyone involved... over and over

and then out of the darkness...

Whynot to Central, Whynot is 10-24, en route to the station

Central Copy...

Its over...

I hear everyone check back in, everyone back at their own stations, everyone.... thank you God.


This wasn't the case a couple of weeks ago.

Recently one of our Volunteers from the other side of the county went on a call, a very routine call. Most of our volunteers not only fight fire, but they are first responders as well. Attending everything from car accidents and heart attacks to Structure fires. 



Please click here for the details of what actually happened to our fallen local hero

February 23, 2011

Larry C. Gressett Sr.

MERIDIAN —

    Services for Larry Cleveland Gressett Sr. will be held Thursday, at 10 a.m., at Salem Baptist Church with Bro. Tom Woods officiating. Burial will be in the church cemetery with James F. Webb Funeral Home in charge of arrangements.

    Mr. Gressett, 33, died Thursday, Feb. 17, 2011. He loved his children, family, and Country. He also loved being a volunteer firefighter and was a member of Toomsuba-Alamucha Volunteer Fire Department. Larry was a member of (LEMA) Lauderdale Emergency Management Agency and a member of Salem Baptist Church. He was employed by Webster Electric. Larry lost his life being a hero.


Rest in peace Larry Gressett, you will be missed. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

that would be very difficult, being the wife of a guy who is a firefighter or cop. it seems like you'd think more about making sure to say a friendly goodbye every time he went out on a call.
i'm glad your honey has always come home safe & sound.

KCSherri said...

I can only imagine what you're going through - I would be EXACTLY the same way! I've seen how heroic the fire department is, as I volunteer with the Red Cross and I'm often on the scene of a fire to assist the clients afterwards. Just always let him know that you love him as he goes out the door, and know that his Guardian Angel is looking out for him! :)

Rosalind said...

such kind words. It really is hard every time he goes out. I don't think he realizes just how scared I am. He has been on some pretty dangerous calls. He loves doing it. I am so proud to have someone so unselfish in my life.