Tuesday, January 4, 2011

reality in a nutshell

Sometimes I just don't get it. Why do people have to die? Why do they pass away before we get the chance to say the things we really want to say? In reality, why don't we say the things we want to say to begin with? Why don't we take time to show people how much we really care rather than cast their feelings aside for the benefit ourselves?

We never really take in to consideration that people have a limited time on earth. We know that grandma or grandpa will be gone one day, but when never really crosses our mind. I looked at my parents today and realized that one day they will be gone and my sister and I will be the first ones in line at the turn stop. We will be the oldest generation. We will be the grandmothers.... I hope.

Over the last few days I was witness to the loss of family members. One of my fathers dear friends passed last week and a one of my coworkers lost her grandmother. I feel like my father had the chance to say bye to his friend. He had been sick for some time and knew that his time had come. What a relief that must be to have the opportunity to tell your friend that you enjoyed your life together. I can only imagine the comfort that would give to a mourning soul. On the other hand, my coworker didn't have a chance to do that. She actually had plans to visit with her grandmother tomorrow... but she passed this morning.

With the stress of our day to day lives we forget that even though time itself is infinite, life is not. We should cherish each moment that we have, say I love you like it might be the last time we have the chance. Every time I talk to someone in my family I tell them I love you. I've even gone so far as to call my father back to tell him I love him because we didn't before we got off the phone. I even tell my friends I love them. I know it may sound silly, but if you think about it.... It's the best I can do to remind them how much I really do love them.

Have you told someone lately that you love them?

No comments: