Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Spiritual Gift

Have you ever wondered what you were meant to do? No I don’t mean, what you want to be when you grow up, I mean… what is your special gift. What are you supposed to do with your life spiritually. What does God want you to do?

I recently went online to a website to see what my Spiritual Gift is. I don’t remember the website, but you can look online at places like ChristiaNet.com or MinTools.com and find a quiz that is quite similar.

I had always thought that my gift was singing… I’ve said it before that I love to sing, and I would love to start singing in the church again. One of the spiritual gifts that we are given is music, but not me. I found that after taking the quiz that my gift is Mercy.

Mercy: Romans 12:8 - to be sensitive toward those who are suffering, whether physically, mentally, or emotionally, so as to feel genuine sympathy with their misery, speaking words of compassion but more so caring for them with deeds of love to help alleviate their distress.
Mercy? Really? Me? I didn’t believe it either, but after talking to my husband we figured out that I am a much happier person when I have done something selfless... when I have taken the time to help someone. I love to see people smile. I love doing things for others that make them feel good and that makes me feel good about myself. It is such a reward. With that in mind though, I have to remind myself daily that my actions towards others may completely change their whole day. If I don’t give that smile or lend a hand, how is that person going to feel for the rest of the day? I honestly hate for people to be unhappy, I really try too hard sometimes to mend broken situations. I don’t know if that is a strength or weakness.

My quote today on FaceBook is: “Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile.” ~ Mother Teresa.

I put that quote up today and was inspired to write this post. I challenge you to go to one of the sites and find out what your spiritual gift is. You may be surprised. Then, put your gift into action.





"There are different kinds of gifts but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord.” 1 Corinthians 12:4-5

“Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.” 1 Peter 4:10

“Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us.” Romans 12:4-6a

1 comment:

TheUnSoccerMom said...

I'm off to find out now! :o)

I don't know how I missed this post last week. Thank you for sharing!!

I've always heard about spiritual gifts and have always wanted to find out for sure what mine are. I think I have a good idea, but we'll see.