Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Amateur...

I stopped in over at S30P to see what new and exciting things were going on and I was greeted with the writing prompt The Amateur. Yes my dear friends... I have something to share concerning this.

An amateur is defined as one who engages in a pursuit, study, science, or sport as a pastime rather than as a profession.

I have always wanted to join a band, start a band... whatever, but on the other hand I don't want to go around singing in different bars. However, I still want to sing and it has convicted me to begin singing in my church more often or even get a small group together to sing in different local churches. I have posted previously about my love of music and singing, but I would like to tell you about one particular experience I had while I was singing. Yes, I was still a "sinner" when this happened but it was that pivotal moment in my life where I realized just how much I loved to sing.

Several years ago I was a bar tender/waitress in two of the local watering holes. I loved working at both places. Friday and Saturday nights I worked at Hojo's (yes the bar in the Howard Johnson's) then on Sunday through Tuesday I worked at the other lovingly referred to as Bubba's. There was a band that played at Hojo's about once a month named Arizona and I had created a special bond with the singer... her name is Bea. People said that Bea and I favored each other. Both of us with dark hair and fair skin, but the best thing about the two of us is our voices make a great pair.

There were several bands that came to play that I would sing with, but with Arizona... I loved it more than anything. I wanted to be part of that band. I wanted to go to work with them. Most nights Bea would call me on stage to sing a song or two with her as back up and we had a couple songs that I sang and she did back up. I got nic-named the singing waitress. We planned it like that... sometimes we would sing sober, sometimes intoxicated.... never the less we loved singing together. There would even be nights where I would sing entire sets for Bea and she would wait my tables. Funny how some of the people in the bar never noticed that we had done that. One night, my now husband, even chased her into the ladies restroom... professing his love to her, thinking it was me. I have always been completely flattered by this because I think the world of Bea. She is amazing and I admire her for living her dream.

One Monday evening, I got a phone call from Manny her husband... Bea had a death in the family and needed to go home. They were playing in town that week, but she wouldn't be able to perform on Thursday night. He called me of all people... and asked me to take her place. Me? Really? You want ME to sing... ALL NIGHT? So I did. I was more than happy to help my friend even thought I was scared and I wanted to make her proud. I couldn't let her down. No way was I going to let her down. I'm scared to death.

So I showed up at 7:00... had a beer... and a shot... took a deep breath... and at 8:00 I got on stage and sang. I sang my little heart out. I sang as hard and strong as I could. I sang request, I brought people on stage, played all the percussion instruments she had left for me to use.... and I sang.

I can't even begin to tell you how amazing that felt. I hate the situation that brought me to it, but I am thankful to have gotten the taste of what it feels like to live that dream.

A feeling even more amazing than that... singing for the Lord. I have sang a few times when I was a youth at my church and once after Buck and I got married. I have sang in the choir. There is nothing that compares to it. I have mentioned on here that there are a few things I feel like I need to do in life. I want to help build a church with a foreign mission and I want to sing. I've been researching the foreign mission and when the time comes and the Lord is ready for me to go... I will go. Till then, I want to sing. I will sing. I am an amateur singer but that's OK with me. Love what you do, and do what you love. I don't need to be a "professional" or get paid to sing, I love it too much.


By the way... I know I have already used this pic in a previous post... but it was from that night ;)

Psalm 98

A Psalm.
 1 Oh, sing to the LORD a new song!
         For He has done marvelous things;
         His right hand and His holy arm have gained Him the victory.

 2 The LORD has made known His salvation;
         His righteousness He has revealed in the sight of the nations.

 3 He has remembered His mercy and His faithfulness to the house of Israel;
         All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.
     
 4 Shout joyfully to the LORD, all the earth;
         Break forth in song, rejoice, and sing praises.

 5 Sing to the LORD with the harp,
         With the harp and the sound of a psalm,

 6 With trumpets and the sound of a horn;
         Shout joyfully before the LORD, the King.
     
 7 Let the sea roar, and all its fullness,
         The world and those who dwell in it;

 8 Let the rivers clap their hands;
         Let the hills be joyful together 

          9 before the LORD,
         For He is coming to judge the earth.
         With righteousness He shall judge the world,
         And the peoples with equity.

6 comments:

Oilfield Trash said...

This was a pretty good story!!!

stephanie said...

love this story! and that is one of my favorite psalms

shan said...

This is eBay I love about you! you are REAL! Can't wait to hear ya!

shan said...

I mean what...not eBay!! Stupid smart phone!!

Rosalind said...

Thank you OT!

Thank you stephanie, hope you and baby are well :)

Shan, that's what I eBay about you too!

Justlittlecajunme said...

Lovely story by a lovely lady! Good job!