Monday, March 4, 2013

Social Media does it again...

Saturday night I had a long conversation with my Mud-duck and after long debate, I deleted the FaceBook account again. She did it as well, so we have a small support group. One week... lets see how long it last. However I still have the Hello Rosie fan page so I'm not completely disconnected. I know I've done it before but it has gotten to be too much. How many conversations have you had that start out "I saw on facebook..."?

Things I started noticing since the last deactivation. Share this and try to win, 100's of fan pages of nothing but video's and snarky comments. I'm tired of seeing how many times someone went to the gym or how often they eat at McDonald's. I want the old FaceBook back. Too many advertisements  too much drama. And don't forget the crazies. Really? You're scared someone may accidentally see you commented on someones status... Social Media (mainly Facebook) has created a generation of overly insecure people. This person made a status update and your guilty conscience led you to believe it was about you. Not to mention this person tagged 20 people in a post about how much they love their friends, you had lunch with her yesterday... why did she leave you out. My favorite is the jealously because another woman liked his picture, even though they have been friends for some 20 years now. FaceBook has ruined more friendships, relationships, and marriages than anything I've seen. It opens a whole new level of shady. I know, I know... nothing says I trust you like a joint FB account for a couple but really... Why wouldn't you, unless you have something to hide.

I have Instagram, my blog, twitter and Pinterest. There are ways to get in touch with me if you want to. You just need to look. I've been in boxed on FB by some of the strangest people... yet another reason to let it go. I'm a fairly private person, it has gotten too personal. I've tried to be quiet about where I am or who I'm with, but I can't filter everything.

One reason that really strikes in my mind that I need to get off the grid... I received a letter in the mail from an inmate at the Florida State Penitentiary.  Yes, freaked me out because there is no way he could have gotten my address since, I don't have a home phone. I assume that he looked up my parents in the white pages since I've known the man 10+ years. None the less, he was arrested for messing around with a 13 year old girl. My daughters are 7 and 4. It's too easy to get in touch with me these days.

So.. since you can't get me on my regular FB account, try one of the other modes of communication. There are plenty... you just actually have to know who I am to get to me. Good luck and happy hunting...


1 comment:

Ruth said...

I am on facebook and sometimes I regret it. This guy I am friends with there keeps sending me messages and kinda getting annoying. Trying to be nice and it just seems to make him contact me more. I don't delete him because he is a relative of sorts and I don't want to annoy his mother whom I like. I guess that is the whole insecurity thing.
He is kind of a creeper, though.